Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Awakenings in the Upper Room

Awakenings in the Upper Room
20 x 16 inch acrylic and pumice on canvas panel
reserved for art show at City Arts

 I love interior paintings.  I know I have said this before.  They are a joy to look at and a joy to paint.  This is the last of my 2013 paintings and it was a fun one in every way.  I was looking at the image of one of Balthus' paintings Les joueurs de cartes and just had to paint a table with a checked table cloth, and this is the result.  Once it was finished, the new theme for my art show at City Arts in April was decided...rooms!  

detail

I already have enough work for an entire show because several of my paintings are  set in a room of some sort.  However, now that I have some direction on the theme, I am sure more interior paintings will emerge. 


detail

One thing that always eludes me is how to keep layering my paintings once the composition is down.  I liked the composition in this painting and didn't want to lose anything, but it was difficult for me to know how build up the layers. 


detail
  
 I went over each little check on that table cloth about three times and it just seemed to only change the color, rather than add interesting layers.  The same goes for all the other areas of the painting...the girl, the carpet, the picture, the window..etc. It was tedious and with little result.   The easiest parts to layer were the walls and ceiling.  They actually had more layers at one point, but I wiped them off and sanded them down because it seemed to bury all the other elements.   


detail

If I had a chance to change anything, I think I would have done this in oil rather than acrylic.  It probably would have layered the way I was striving for.   I am happy with it, but I do plan on practicing ways of building up the entire painting a little more...it's probably time to hit the sketchbooks and stay there a while.  

Are you having a good week?

28 comments:

  1. The thing I so admire about your work is the deceptive simplicity you achieve. You don't need layers of texture as all is conveyed in your well chosen brush strokes, Your work has such a feeling of timeless space, it is calm and serene, too many layers would detract from this beautiful simplicity. There is also a strong power between the elements in the room; the space between the chair and the table. Wonderful painting Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your insightful comment, I loved reading it! I do try to create space sometimes in my paintings and I am glad you noticed it.

      Delete
  2. I love it just how it is. I really do admire your work my friend. I wish I had your ability..

    I do hope you are having a nice week.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH!! OH MY GOSH!! Do NOT change this in ANY way!

    This is Truly a Spectacular Piece!!! I believe it would have to be my favorite of all of your paintings and that is saying a lot, let me tell ya!!

    Super Job, Lisa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan...I think it's my new favorite too...that's if we are allowed to have favorites of our own work. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this one, I think it tells a story, I think anything in a room tells you a story, of who lives there, are they waiting for someone,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! I love all the little details! I'm having a great week! Hope you are too o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so well done!! I agree with Lee, very narrative - it has everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great one Lisa. So many areas to love but I think my fav part is the tablecloth. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. The tablecloth is the one thing I can't take credit for...that part is a copy of Balthus' tablecloth. But the rest is from my own brain. :)

      Delete
  8. I like her dress the best! Congratulations on the new venue and for figuring out the theme. It's a great choice:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that small table and the things on it, touching, xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous piece Lisa -- I love everything about it - and your work is so very narrative. Simple and complex at the same time. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent painting, Lisa! Wonderful details....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your know Lisa, I think maybe you were a nun in a past life. Me too…maybe. I love interiors and you are really good at painting them. Just yesterday I found this quote by Marcel Proust: "Until I saw Chardin's painting, I never realized how much beauty lay around me in my parents' house, in the half-cleared table, in the corner of a tablecloth left awry, in the knife beside the empty oyster shell."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the quote Carol...and it's so true. Thank you for your comment. Not sure about being a nun in a past life though. :)

      Delete
  13. Don't change a thing about this painting. It's perfect! I simply love the textured walls and the lone figure standing there...waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't know anything about layers! you have a great theme! and i know that you will get an answer and share because i would like to know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi everyone! Thanks for all your great comments....I loved reading them. I always do! I appreciate every one of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a little gem of a painting! I would leave it as is. The tension between the
    painting (in the painting) and the window, ceiling corner direction and interesting
    wall texture all make it successful. Put it away for a few days and then look
    again...it's very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Patty. I did decide it's finished. You are so right...putting it away for a bit always helps.

      Delete
  17. This is an amazing piece, Lisa! So love the dance between the textured wall and all the tiny details in the tablecloath, the windows, the flor, thepainting, her dress and so on!! Very great composition!! ♥ Conny
    Piaroms Art Journaling

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your comment on my blog! It led me here and I like your work. It's so fun to see how creative people are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda....it's a pleasure to have you here!

      Delete
  19. The story is strong and the painting is magnificent, it is a big winner Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. it turned out just great! I especially love the ceiling! it adds a real kick to the whole thing. very dynamic

    ReplyDelete